Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2023 10:09:20 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Periodic rant about SCHED_ULE

On Mar 22, 2023, at 09:48, Steve Kargl =
<sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 09:20:27AM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
>>=20
>> Giving folks a way to know they are repeating your tests
>> appropriately, could give interested folks a way to answer
>> their own questions.
>=20
> This has been an issue for years (and now stretching into
> decades).  It is trivial to show the problem with any
> numerically intensive MPI program.  I've done this a few
> times, and reported the issues. Search the mailing list
> archives, e.g.,=20
>=20
> =
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2008-October/026375.ht=
ml

This referenced using:

% time /OpenMPI/mpiexec -machinefile mf -n 8 ./Test_mpi |& tee sgk.log

> It appears to be (or was) an issue with cpu affinity.
>=20
> Caveat: I haven't tested this in a long time.  I simple use 4BSD.
>=20

Looks like a csh context, so . . .

# csh
# time /OpenMPI/mpiexec -machinefile mf -n 8 ./Test_mpi |& tee sgk.log
/OpenMPI/mpiexec: Command not found.

That still leaves me trying to figure out an accurate
way to reproduce all the steps to have a comparable
way to see for myself.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com