Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2018 17:44:46 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Help with generating the translated handbook correctly

Hi,

While translating the handbook to Italian I'm generating in work in
progress copies of the handbook. I'm following instructions from the
primer, but I'm not getting exactly what I expect.

In detail some paragraphs from the handbook which do have translations
in the po file get anyway rendered in English.

To generate the html file I'm doing:

% cd doc/head/it_IT.ISO8859-15/books/handbook/
% cp /path/to/it_IT.po .
% make tran
% make FORMATS=html

The po file I'm using can be viewed here:

https://github.com/madpilot78/FreeBSD-doc-it/tree/master/books/it_IT

The resulting output is here:

https://people.freebsd.org/~madpilot/ItalianTranslation/handbook.html

If you go the section 1.3 About the FreeBSD Project you can see the
string of the title itself is in English (should read "Informazioni sul
FreeBSD Project"), and also below that in the history part the 1st, 4th,
5th and 6th paragraphs are in english.

If you look at the .po file you'll see there actually are translations
there for these paragraphs, and I also double checked they're not marked
as drafts.

I'm clearly doing something wrong or missing some point. Anyone so kind
to spare a little time helping me with this?

Thanks in advance!

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>