Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:49:00 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports cross-compilers vs. native toolchain

I'm trying to build a customized u-boot (so that I can
add the bootelf command, which is needed to chain
Rafa=C5=82's ubldr version of loader(8)).  Of course, I'm trying
to build this from TI's sources customized for this board,
which means I'm not using the FreeBSD-customized
sources from denx.de.

Since ubldr is built with the native cross-tools, I've been
trying to build u-boot the same way, but I've run into
a few problems that make me wonder if it would make
more sense to build u-boot with the cross-* ports instead,
hence my question.  (If I understand correctly, ubldr
calls into u-boot, so the two need to be built
compatibly, hence the question.)

Sounds like I should keep poking at u-boot with the
native cross tools=E2=80=A6.

Unfortunately, the native cross-version of ld is crashing,
and I have not yet been able to successfully build a debug
version of the native cross tools so I can figure out why.

I'll no doubt have more questions very soon.  ;-)

Tim

On Jan 18, 2012, at 12:37 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> The cross-* ports are more for rtems, and not for FreeBSD also...
>=20
> See 'make xdev' if you want to build native compilers in a =
cross-building environment.
>=20
> Warner
>=20
> On Jan 18, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Alex T. wrote:
>=20
>> If I'm not mistaken, this port is not supposed to be built directly. =
Well,
>> you may, but
>> from what I see is that there one is supposed to build =
devel/arm-rtems-gcc,