Date:      8 Jan 2000 19:13:37 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   securelevel?

I'm confused about securelevel handling in FreeBSD. The init(8)
man page says:

| Any super-user process can raise the security level, but no
| process can lower it.

Which means that if you go from single-user mode in securelevel 0
to multi-user in level 1 and return to single-user you are still
in level 1, right?

(On OpenBSD, init can lower the secure level. I assume it does so
for the multi-user to single-user transition.)

| If the security level is initially -1, then init leaves it unchanged.
| Otherwise, init arranges to run the system in level 0 mode while
| single-user and in level 1 mode while multi-user. [...]

"Otherwise"? Apparently -1 is the default securelevel. But how can
I set it to something else, even before init is run?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de