Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2013 07:40:31 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org Arch" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Subject:   Re: FDT on x86 and for non-fdtbus devices.

On Feb 14, 2013, at 3:33 AM, Robert Watson wrote:

>=20
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>=20
>> I think one way to state the problem in a generic way is: How can we =
obtain the FDT pnode_t given an arbitrary device_t and use the pnode_t =
to query for properties, etc.
>>=20
>> Are people already doing things like this? Is there an interest in =
being able to do things like this? Are changes to drivers to have them =
query FDT contributable at all or do people think such would be =
"pollution"?
>=20
> Only loosely related, but another thing we'd like to be able to do at =
SRI/Cambridge is merge ROM-discovered FDT configuration data with =
kernel-linked configuration data.  For example, we'd like to rely on the =
device's ROM for a list of physical device layouts and so on, but embed =
our description of flash layout, additional device driver configuration =
information (e.g., /dev node information for avgen, which exports =
devices unsupported by specific device drivers using a generic =
memory-mapped interface), etc, in the compiled kernel for the device.  =
I'm not sure if that's something that's of interest in this context as =
well?

IF you want to just add nodes to the FDT, I think that having a merge =
function in ubldr and such wouldn't be too horribly hard. If you wanted =
to change leaf nodes already in the tree, that would be quite a bit =
harder, but might be doable in the kernel context....

But I'm curious why your specific example wouldn't already live in the =
FDT for your board....

Warner