Date:      10 Jul 1999 07:39:48 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0?

Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net> writes:

> out of curiousity, whats new about 4 that caused the jump in numbering
> from 3.X?

Initially, nothing.  Now, quite a bit.

Once the development tree was fairly stable 3 was branched off from
it.  3.x releases are mainly bug fixes and drop in updates, the basic
feature set is frozen.  The development branch, with its number bumped
to 4, started getting all of the new and experimental stuff that
people had been holding back on during the run-up to the branching.
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.