Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:55:54 +0900
From:      "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@iDaemons.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Craig Carey <research@ijs.co.nz>
Subject:   Re: find(1) -regex/-iregex

At Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:42:19 +1300,
Craig Carey wrote:
> What about the -iname option?.
>
> I recently installed GNU 'find' just to get that -iname problem fixed.
>
> Can you do -iname too?.

Thanks for the info.  It's added now.

I'm ashamed to say that I couldn't resist implementing -E option to
allow extended regexps. ;)  The traditional and POSIX compliant basic
regexp is so hard to handle that you can't even say ".+\.S?o" but
"..*\.S{0,1}o".. (see re_format(7) for details)

Also, I revised the manpage to describe them in detail.  Please check
it out:

	http://people.FreeBSD.org/~knu/misc/find_regex.diff

>  >I'd like to commit it after reviews if there is no convincing
>  >objection against it.  Any suggestion is welcome.
>  >

> I would object if it is a new variant of regexp. I'd say it ought
> be between egrep and perl, in its functionality.

I don't think I grasp your meaning..  GNU find(1)'s -regexp uses the
"basic regexp" that is _not_ the "extended regexp" which egrep(1) uses
nor the one perl(1) uses.

Anyway, here lists the facts:

  - I implemented -regexp/-iregexp using FreeBSD's standard regex
  library which is supposed to be compliant with POSIX.2

  - The match is executed with REG_BASIC, which behavior is compatible
  with GNU find(1) and NetBSD find(1)

  - I, however, added -E so we can use extended regexp ;)

  - Perl's regexp is known to be a unique variant that is different
  from the "basic regexp" nor the "extended regexp" ;P

> It sounds like a regexp would be nice.

Me too. :)

--
                     /
                    /__  __            Akinori.org / MUSHA.org

"We're only at home when we're on the run, on the wing, on the fly"