Date:      08 Dec 1997 01:43:59 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM system info

"John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:

> Joao Carlos Mendes Luis said:
> > #define quoting(John S. Dyson)
> > // Notes on VM tunables:
> > //
> > // I have recently added some interesting VM tunables.  Since it would
> > // be nice if people other than me (or those who requested them) could
> > // use the features, I thought it would be nice to pass this info on:
> >
> > Is there any place or URL where we can get this information always
> > updated ?  It's a pretty good form of documentation I've always
> > wanted to know.
> >
> Nope.  Unfortunately, the source code is the only place for it (by
> inference.)  The VFS sysctls also deserve some documentation.
>

> > Maybe it deserves a handbook section ?
> >
> Maybe, but it is extremely kernel version dependent, and would require
> some commitment to maintain.  Otherwise, the info could be confusing.

I'm going to be extremely politically incorrect here:

I want this info in the kernel.  At the very least, I want
documentation as a part of the SYSCTL_*() macro parameters, unused but
available as a (mandatory) part of the source - better would be as a
part of the kernel that can be compiled away by setting a kernel
option (e.g. NO_SYSCTL_DOCS).

I don't care about the amount of hardwired memory it wastes - memory
is extremely cheap, people's time aren't.

Eivind.