Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:39:47 +0900
From:      Osamu MIHARA <mihara@prd.fc.nec.co.jp>
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I/O APIC

# I just started to study APIC and SMP stuffs, so please correct me if
# I'm wrong.

At Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:56:01 -0400 (EDT),
Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:
> When installing Solaris/x86 on one of our PowerEdge 2400s (SMP
> capable, 2 I/O APICs, 1 CPU), I noticed that it uses the I/O APICs for
> interrupts rather than the normal isa irq x.  Is there an advantage to
> this?

One advantage is that multiple I/O-APICs can handle more interrupts
than traditional PIC.  If you use PIC, it can handles only 16
interrupts at most, and you may need share a interrupt for some
devices.  With multiple IO-APICs, you don't need to share interrupts,
and it does not pay for overheads of interrupt sharing, resulting in
better I/O throughput, even with single CPU.
--
  Osamu MIHARA // NEC Printers Division