Date:      Tue, 19 Apr 2016 15:29:57 -0500
From:      Brandon J. Wandersee <brandon.wandersee@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Simple devd.conf rule has no effect

Warren Block writes:

> On Wed, 6 Apr 2016, Brandon J. Wandersee wrote:
>

>> Hi, folks. I'm trying to get my laptop screen to lock when the lid
>> closes, using x11/slock. I've created the file /etc/devd/lidlock.conf
>> with the following rule:
>>
>> | notify 0 {
>> |         match   "system"        "ACPI";
>> |         match   "subsystem"     "Lid";
>> |         match   "notify"        "0x00";
>> |         action  "/usr/local/bin/slock";
>> | };
>>
>> This is really just a slight variation on the example from the
>> devd.conf(5) man page. Now when I close the lid, the screen fails to
>> lock, yet /var/log/messages displays the message "devd: Executing
>> 'slock'". Any advice on what to look into to figure out why the program
>> is not actually executed? Thanks in advace.
>
> devd(8) stuff runs as root, I think.  So it probably does not have
> $DISPLAY set.  Maybe use su to switch to the normal X user and execute
> the command:
>
>    su -l xusername -c 'setenv DISPLAY :0.0 && /usr/local/bin/slock'

Thanks for the response, Warren; sorry for the lateness of mine. Your
solution works when run from a shell, but devd still doesn't properly
execute it. I also tried changing the quotes around, adapting it for my
user shell (changing 'setenv' to 'export DISPLAY='), and putting it in a
shell script and executing the script from the devd config file. No
luck. Guess I'll just keep messing with it when the mood strikes, see if
anything clicks.

--

::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee@gmail.com