Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:54:52 +0900
From:      Tatsumi Hosokawa <hosokawa@sm.rim.or.jp>
To:        itojun@iijlab.net
Cc:        hosokawa@sm.rim.or.jp, i18n@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multilingual sysinstall

Good morning!

I'm very sorry to absent from BSDCon because of non-computer virus
attacked me very very worse than troj_mtx :-).

At Fri, 20 Oct 2000 05:08:29 +0900,
Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net> wrote:

> >1. The future of sysinstall (or whatever should replace it)
> >   The future installer/management utility should be
> >   able to handle arbitrary character sets.
> >   In other words, it should be able to display Chinese/Japanese/etc.
> >   with user selection.  To be discussed.
>
> 	hello,could you tell us a little bit about korean/japanese/...
> 	sysinstall?
> 	- how you have made korean/japanese/... sysinstall
> 		kon2 + font flie?

If there's libvgl-based multilingual console or multilingual
sysinstall, I'll use this of course, but there's not such stuff, and
I have had no time to write it.

sysinstall fork-and-exec's kon2 and redirect console output to kon2
via pty.

> 	- how did you deal with message files

There were changes between 4.1.1 multilingual sysinstall and 3.x/2.x
ones.  But both uses non-standard way because of historical reason.
If somebody can rewrite it in standard way (if there's standard way in
FreeBSD), we prefer it than current implementation.

Current implementation is pre-alpha status and available at
http://people.FreeBSD.org/boot-ja/ and latest one is at
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~hosokawa/boot-ja/release-20001019-2/

If you type "make updatesysinstall" at release/localization/catalog,
it semi-automatically updates catalog files and prepare skeleton
catalog for new message newly introduced to release/sysinstall/*.c.
Messages in release/sysinstall/*.c are stored in
release/localization/{ja,ko}/*_c.txt and compiled in one catalog file
when you executed "make boot.flp" or of course "make release",

> 	- future plans

o merge into -current and MFC to 4-stable,
o implement libvgl-based console or multilingual syscons,
o convert catalog model to FreeBSD-standard framework,
o implement European language version,

etc.

Thanks.

--