Date:      06 Feb 1999 22:10:01 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
To:        "Michael A. Olson" <mao@sleepycat.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Berkeley DB port to FreeBSD

"Michael A. Olson" <mao@sleepycat.com> writes:

> We're currently at release 2.7; the 2.3 code is more than a year
> old, and we're no longer supporting it.  I've pinged Josh on this,
> but he's apparently pretty busy, as I haven't heard back.
>
> Can you pull the ref to the older code from the ports page?  Our
> stuff, as downloaded from www.sleepycat.com, builds and runs
> correctly on FreeBSD, so people can feel free simply to grab the
> newest release and build it.  The released code includes a full
> automated test suite.

I took a look at your web site with a view towards updating the port,
and it appears that the only way to download the current distfile is
via a cgi-bin script there.  One of the great beauties of the FreeBSD
ports system is the way it automates the download, building and
installation process.

Speaking solely for myself, I think we're better off with a slightly
dated distfile that's cached on FreeBSD mirrors worldwide that
attempting to track something that has to be manually downloaded every
time.  If you would be willing to provide a fixed URL from which the
new releases can be fetched, I think that we would be much more likely
to keep the port up to date.
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.