Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:35:03 +0900
From:      "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@iDaemons.org>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, knu@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gzip and cvsweb.cgi

At Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:26:01 +1300 (NZDT),
Dan Langille wrote:
> I've noticed that cvsweb.cgi sometimes gives me GZIP and sometimes not.  I
> tracked down a fix for my needs, but would like some feedback please.
>
> The problem arose when FreshPorts old me it couldn't do anything with a
> Makefile it had just obtained (via fetch), so I went to look.  What I
> found was a garbled Makefile.  Actually, it was GZIP'd, not ASCII.
>
> $ fetch -o Makefile
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/www/mnoGoSearch-current/Makefile?rev=1.3
> Receiving Makefile: 0 Kbytes
> 897 bytes transferred in 0.0 seconds  (603.71 Kbytes/s)
>
> $ file Makefile
> Makefile: gzip compressed data, deflated, last modified: Tue Jan 30
> 14:00:38 2001, max speed, os: Unix
>

> So then I started experimenting, and check the web interface.  Then I used
> this:
>
> $ fetch -o Makefile
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/www/mnoGoSearch-current/Makefile?rev=1.3
> Receiving Makefile: 1 Kbytes
> 1799 bytes transferred in 0.0 seconds  (1241.55 Kbytes/s)
>
> $ file Makefile
> Makefile: ASCII text
>
> Which is what one would expect.
>
> Why does one give the expected results and the other doesn't?  I expected
> both to give the same.

Hmm, this reminds me of the transparent HTTP proxy issue.  I suspect
an HTTP proxy server is between your box and www.FreeBSD.org and it
had a cache of the former page and didn't for the latter.

If that is the situation, cvsweb.cgi may have to add a header field
"Pragma: no-cache" or "Expire: ..(soon).." for such proxies that cache
even a CGI output. (But that applies to most CGI programs...)

--
                     /
                    /__  __            Akinori.org / MUSHA.org

"We're only at home when we're on the run, on the wing, on the fly"