Date:      15 Oct 1998 23:10:42 -0500
From:      stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
To:        gdr@wcs.uq.edu.au (Gary Roberts)
Cc:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich), emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: applixware discussion

> > Anyway, I have the latest applixware release. It's 99 bucks. If
> > you think it will let you share M$ office files with other M$
> > office users, it won't.  The filters don't work. In particular,
> > powerpoint and word graphics and charts get damaged or deleted. So
> > if you're planning on getting applixware for M$ office
> > interoperation, don't waste your money.

Have you written to Applix about this problem?

As I wrote, the filters appear to work OK for Word and Excel, I don't
have any powerpoint docs to test with.  One document which didn't load
for me was a Dutch word8 file, but the others I tried were fine
(admittedly a small sample set -- like 3 or 4).  Nevertheless, I think
your statement is too strong, especially in light of the dearth of
competing products.

--

Steve Farrell