Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:50:36 -0600
From:      rand@meridian-enviro.com
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        rand@meridian-enviro.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, bryanh@meridian-enviro.com
Subject:   Re: 3ware problems

Doug> It takes a surprisingly long time to initialize the array.

Mike> The delay is normal.  When you setup anything other than a RAID0
Mike> array, the card is actually doing work to your drives in the
Mike> background. Grab the array manager from
Mike> http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/3ware/3dm-bsd.1.09.00.002.tar.gz
Mike> and it will notify you when its done. You can also speed up the
Mike> initialization part a bit by setting it to a faster rebuild
Mike> time.

We finally did figure that out. The problem in this particular
cirmstance with the 3dm utility is that the only controller in the box
is the 3ware 6400. So inorder to run 3dm I need to have FreeBSD
installed, and installing FreeBSD at the same time the controller is
initializing the array, is really slow.  :)

The first time I did this I thought something was broken when I
watched the newfs output those duplicate super block locations. It was
about 10 seconds between each block! After a search of the FreeBSD
lists I found a reference to initializing the array, and just waited.

On ttyv1 the kernel issues a message when the array initialization is
done, so I usually just wait for that.