Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 11:54:48 -0600
From:      rand@meridian-enviro.com
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, bryanh@meridian-enviro.com
Subject:   Re: 3ware problems

Doug> Well, I just inserted just over 2 million rows and it hung again:

Mike> Ok; I'm only up to 7.5M rows.  The fact that you got so far so
Mike> quickly makes me wonder whether I'm doing something wrong.

Mike> This is what I did:

Mike>  - Built a 4-disk RAID10 array and mounted it on /var/db/mysql
Mike>  - Installed 3.23.33 client and server
Mike>  - Changed 'fortune -l' to 'fortune -s' in your script
Mike>  - Created a test database with 'create database twe_test;'
Mike>  - Pointed the script at the database with 'test.pl | mysql -u root twe_test'

Mike> If you have a better cookbook, I'm all ears.

Ours is essentially identical. Here are a few more details:

 o We built a 4 disk RAID10 array, and the 4 IBM 75GB DTLA of the
   array are the only disks in the system. We laid out filesystems
   with /var/db/mysql being the largest. The only mildly strang thing
   about the layout is putting 2 FreeBSD slices on the disk so we can
   have enough partitions. We also enabled softupdates on all the
   filesystems.

     Filesystem      Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
     /dev/twed0s1a   248M    56M   173M    24%    /
     /dev/twed0s1g    12G   4.8G   6.1G    44%    /tmp
     /dev/twed0s1e   2.9G   521M   2.2G    19%    /usr
     /dev/twed0s2e   3.9G    18K   3.6G     0%    /usr/weather
     /dev/twed0s1f   496M   779K   456M     0%    /var
     /dev/twed0s2f    12G   2.0K    11G     0%    /project/Birdland
     /dev/twed0s2g   104G    26G    70G    27%    /var/db/mysql

     Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
     /dev/twed0s1b     4194176        0  4194176     0%    Interleaved

   When we bound the array this last time, we took all the defaults: A
   64KB stripe size, disk write cache enabled. It takes a surprisingly
   long time to initialize the array. What I did is to boot off the
   4.3 floppies (no cdrom in this system) and go to the slice
   (a.k.a. DOS partition) editor and write out the slice
   information. This 'write' seems to cause the twe0 driver to
   initialize the array, and then I go home to bed. When I wake up it
   is done, and then I usually just reboot and restart the
   installation.

 o Installed MySQL via packages: mysql-server-3.23.33, which installs
   mysql-client-3.23.33. We've run it both with and without our my.cnf
   configuration.

 o Our MySQL server is somewhat customized, but for a stock MySQL
   server test we reduce $step from 1000 to 100 and you won't exceed
   MySQL's max_allowed_packet. Using a short fortune should also keep
   the packet sizes small enough.

 o We created our test database with 'create database dkr;'.

 o And we kill our system with the command:

    ./birdland.pl | mysql -hlocalhost -uroot -psecret dkr

Doug> I think I'll turn off softupdates and also run MySQL in a stock
Doug> configuration, just to make sure it'll still break.

This time we didn't even reach 600,000 rows before it
broke. Softupdates turned off, and no my.cnf in /var/db/mysql.

Mike, thanks for all your help and the time you've invested in
this! What we can do to assist?