Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2006 05:23:39 -0500
From:      tomasflyer@netscape.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How many IP address aliases can practically be used on one physical Ethernet interface?

Hi,

I am implementing and using a test bed simulating a huge amount of IP=20
clients, each preferable having a unique IP address. There is no, no=20
way to have an individual physical interface for each simulated client=20
so I use IP aliases. Currently it runs on Linux and there is a limit of=20
256 IP addresses per interface, among other things due to a hard array=20
limit in Linux net-tools ifconfig. There also seems to be other=20
limitations like linear searches in net-tools as well as in kernel=20
networking code. Just changing the array limit changed the problem to=20
being one of stability and performance.

So I became quite optimistic reading about Virtual Hosts and IP aliases=20
in the FreeBSD handbook chapter 11.9:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-vi
rtual-hosts.html

"A given network interface has one "real" address, and may have any=20
number of "alias" addresses".

So is this really true and where is the catch? Will a FreeBSD 6.0=20
accept for example 8190 IP address aliases  each on say five physical=20
Ethernet interfaces? Will IP addresses be manageable to add, list and=20
delete? And how much will networking performance degrade compared to=20
using just a few aliases?

I can add that there is no forwarding or routing through a simulator=20
box except IP traffic to and from the client simulation running inside.

I am maybe willing to change to BSD if there is a chance of success,=20
most Guru UNIX sysadmins running real production say mostly good things=20
about the BSDs. I just need some encouragement... ;-)

Best Regards

Flyer
Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com