Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:58:08 -0800
From:      Michael DeMan <freebsd@deman.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   zfs detach/replace

Hi All,

The origination of the problem is entirely my fault on  FreeBSD 8.1 =
RELEASE #0.  We had old notes that attempting a 'replace' (which is =
appropriate for a mirror) leaves ZFS in a funky state on BSD.  I =
inadvertently did just that on a drive swap on a raidz2 pool.  My old =
notes show the only recovery that we knew of at the time was to rsync or =
zfs-send the pool elsewhere, destroy the local and rebuild from scratch.

Is there a better way to handle this nowadays?

Thanks,

- Mike DeMan

<SNIP># zpool status
  pool: zp1rz2
 state: DEGRADED
 scrub: scrub in progress for 4h5m, 9.28% done, 39h55m to go
config:

	NAME                       STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	zp1rz2                     DEGRADED     0     0     0
	  raidz2                   DEGRADED     0     0     0
	    label/ada0LABEL        ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/ada1LABEL        ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/ada2LABEL        ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/ada3LABEL        ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/ada4LABEL        ONLINE       0     0     0
	    replacing              UNAVAIL      0  984K     0  =
insufficient replicas
	      label/ada5LABEL/old  UNAVAIL      0 1.11M     0  cannot =
open
	      label/ada5LABEL      UNAVAIL      0 1.11M     0  cannot =
open
	    label/ada6LABEL        ONLINE       0     0     0
	    label/ada7LABEL        ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors