Date:      Mon, 18 Jul 2016 17:11:41 -0400
From:      Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>
To:        Euan Thoms <euan@potensol.com>
Subject:   Re: curl and nginx no longer build on same host

Hello,

> On Jul 18, 2016, at 4:37 PM, Euan Thoms <euan@potensol.com> wrote:
>=20
>> On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 04:03 SGT, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> w=
rote:=20
>>=20
>>> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Euan Thoms <euan@potensol.com> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> On Saturday, July 16, 2016 20:43 SGT, Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in> wrote=
:
>=20
>>> OK, I understand. And I'm glad we're heading somewhere where we will hav=
>>> more consistency. I just feel that we shouldn't need anything in
>>> /etc/make.conf unless we are exerting some extra control and using
>=20
>>> non-default options. I've managed to get away without anything in
>>> /etc/make.conf on all my jails, collectively they install quite a range o=
>>> software types.
>>>=20
>>> Are you sure that WITH_OPENSSL_PORT isn't deprecated. I got some warning=
>>> to that effect. So I've been using USES+=3Dssl=3Dopenssl instead. Perhap=
>>> that's part of the problem, maybe the ftp/curl port is still using the
>>> older make.conf flag. I'll try it next time I update.
>>>=20
>>> Thanks Jim.
>=20
>>=20
>> Yes and no. WITH_OPENSSL_PORT in make,conf has been deprecated. It should=

>> still work, but you should update to the new syntax. If you do use it, yo=
>> should see the following:
>> "Using WITH_OPENSSL_PORT in make.conf is deprecated, replace it with
>> DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=3Dssl=3Dopenssl in your make.conf"
>>=20
>> To avoid conflicting SSL libraries in different ports, it is bast to put
>> the "DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=3Dssl=3Dopenssl" in /etc/make.conf. If you use bas=
>> OpsnSSL in some ports that create shareable libraries and the ports versi=
on
>> in others, you will eventually hit an executable, possibly from a third
>> port, that is linked to both and those programs will not run.
>=20
> OK, I'm clear about the make.conf options and what they mean. But I still h=
ave a problem in that even if I use DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=3Dssl=3Dopenssl, ftp/c=
url will not build, certainly not with portmaster and I think I tried buildi=
ng it manually from inside it's ports directory.
>=20
> /usr/ports/ftp/curl]# make
> =3D=3D=3D>  curl-7.49.1 GSSAPI_BASE is not compatible with OpenSSL from po=
rts. Use
> other GSSAPI options or OpenSSL from base system.
> *** Error code 1
>=20
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/ports/ftp/curl
>=20
>=20
> So basically, I'd have to change one of the GSSAPI options in ftp/curl. Ex=
cept I haven't got a clue on the ramifications of this. Do I need GSSAPI? If=
 so, should I use Heimdal or MIT?
>=20
> So you see my point, it's not friendly on new FreeBSD users. I'm a fairly e=
xperienced FreeBSD sys-adimin and I don't know what to do in this case.
>=20
> At least I now know that there is a good reason to not have on port built a=
gainst base openssl and another built against ports openssl.=20

So basically they've deprecated a useful option without replicating the func=
tionality. Bravo!=20

Fortunately, it still works as intended.=20

--
Jim=