Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 04:41:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alan Bawden <Alan@LCS.MIT.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   messing with /etc/rc.conf

There is a comment at the front of /etc/rc.conf that says:

  # All arguments must be in double or single quotes.

It's not clear exactly what the restriction here is, but I recently learned
that if rc.conf contains the following:

  ntpdate_flags="-bs $(awk '$1 == "server" || $1 == "peer" {print $2}' /etc/ntp.conf)"

something will occasionally re-write this to read:

  ntpdate_flags="-bs $(awk '$1 == "

So I have two questions:

 1.  What is it that makes this change.  And what exactly are the rules it
     applies when parsing/rewriting the file?

 2.  If I move the setting of ntpdate_flags into /etc/rc.conf.local, will
     whatever this thing is leave it alone there?