Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 09:24:20 -0500
From:      Matt White <mwhite@cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Christian Kuhtz <ck@ns1.adsu.bellsouth.com>
Subject:   Re: PPTP and FreeBSD

*quenches flames*

I guess I didn't read the drafts closely enough four months ago when I was
last looking at this.  Since you obviously think you know all about these
protocols, perhaps you can set me straight.  My impression from looking at
the protocols and the products that have been built around them is that the
following is the expected case:

A client dials up to a remote access server at some ISP.  There has been
some arrangement made between the client's company and said ISP to have the
client's traffic tunneled back to their site.  The remote access server
creates a tunnel back to a configured endpoint at the client's company's
site on behalf of the client.  The client needs no software to do this and
may not even know that such tunneling is taking place on it's behalf.

Obviously there are other similar situations where this is useful, such as
an ISP that wants to manage all of its POPs from a single IP space, but
does not want to set up physical circuits for each POP.  I am sure you can
list many other situations, but these are really the ones that most affect
me on a day to day.

Now, what we were talking about is having the client itself initiate the
tunnel on its own behalf.  This is what the MS VPN clients do.  However,
from looking at the protocol spec, it seems that quite a bit goes into
making the above case work properly.  It seems that a protocol that only
did client tunneling could be made easier to implement.  That is the source
of the statement that we are not exactly considering L2TP/PPTP for what
they were intended.  Will they work?  Of course.  This has already been
demonstrated.

As to whether to implement PPTP or L2TP first, that largely remains
dependant on the application.  For a client, L2TP is obviously the way to
go.  However, I still want a PPTP server that authenticates to radius (or
better yet, uses PAM).  If said PPTP server also supported L2TP, that would
make me just that much happier.

So anyway, where did I go horribly wrong?

-Matt