Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:03:27 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?
References:  <CAOgwaMvsv3e1TxDauV038Pp7LRiYeH7oAODE%2Bw-pxHt9oGrXMA@mail.gmail.com> <201206020012.q520CEcf057568@hugeraid.jetcafe.org> <20120602004230.GA14487@in-addr.com> <201206040224.q542OBqk085897@hugeraid.jetcafe.org> <20120604043233.GB32597@lonesome.com> <201206040841.q548fVHa091169@hugeraid.jetcafe.org> <CADLo83-9jE1zAtdXrA78=K5AE7yR4UsMh=efeC5L4kXijaDFaQ@mail.gmail.com> <201206041841.q54IfUow001060@hugeraid.jetcafe.org> <20120604191343.GF10783@isuckatdomains.isuckatdomains.net> <201206041932.q54JWONA001600@hugeraid.jetcafe.org> <4FCDA15C.2000700@digsys.bg> <201206061859.q56IxvLx045828@hugeraid.jetcafe.org>

Am 06.06.2012 um 20:59 schrieb Dave Hayes:
>=20
>=20
> I believe this is the first time I've seen more documentation labeled =
as
> "extraneous". :) I had thought to suggest an implementation by having =
> simple pkg-option-desr file which describes the options and =
implications
> in each port. Are you suggesting that such a file would be unwelcome?=20=

>=20

No, but take a look at the nginx port, which (I'm too lazy to count) has =
gained a couple of dozens of options over the years.
It's a bit of an extreme example, I know - but nevertheless.
I've enabled some that I know what they do and some where I think I know =
what they do. Some are default on, so I left them on.
The rest I disabled if I knew I wouldn't ever need them.
Documenting all of them would probably be a huge endeavor - and I'm glad =
that Sergey keeps the ports updated super-fast and chases down all the =
updates of 3rd-party patches (which often have little more than the =
source itself as documentation) etc.
Asking him to do even more work - I wouldn't dare to do that ;-)

It's really the person who is running make config who has to read up on =
all the options and decide if (s)he needs them.
Sometimes, options only make sense in context of the selection of =
options of other ports and it thus may no be easily explainable in one =
line.
I don't maintain any ports, I just build about 600 of them in our =
private tinderbox.
IMO, you can't really maintain more than a couple of FreeBSD-servers =
professionally without some sort of central package-building.
The earlier people realize this, the less pain they will have to suffer. =
In practice, you realize it 50 or 100 servers too late...

The work that goes into the ports-tree is tremendous and once you start =
running your own tinderbox, maintain some 3rd-party patches yourself and =
just generally dig deeper into this stuff you begin to realize just how =
difficult this is.=20

What I do (or try to do) on my tinderbox is to take a "frozen" =
ports-tree towards a release and build packages from it (trying to =
minimize the number of unique builds per portstree)
After the tree is open again, I try to get the stuff that interests me, =
the security-patches (e.g. the recent php bug) or other stuff that is =
useful for us as an update directly from CVS for the 600 or so ports =
that we actually use.
Of course, this only works until something in the ports-framework =
changes significantly (like that options-ng thing recently) and I either =
have to update the whole ports-tree or just wait till the next =
pre-release freeze.
I found that currently the fastest way to update my packages on a server =
is to pkg_delete -fa and then pkg_add the stuff back that I need (more =
or less the same packages everywhere, anyway).=20
Portupgrade is far too slow to be of any practical use (and more than a =
handful of package-management-tools in the ports-mgnt category isn't =
really helpful, either - who has the time to test them all?)
I hope that pkgng will solve most of these problems and enable me to =
update my ports-tree more often.
Unfortunately, by then some of the FreeBSD-servers will have moved into =
our private cloud (using Joyent's private cloud, which, incidentally =
uses NetBSD's pkgsrc - we will have to see how that works out longtime)

Personally, I don't need more frequent FreeBSD-releases but two or maybe =
three ports-tree freezes per year would be good.

So, FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE, FreeBSD 9.0-U1, FreeBSD 9.0U2 would be cool ;-)

Would that be a lot of additional work?