Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 10:48:57 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Vladimir Dozen <vladimir-dozen@mail.ru>, Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM: dynamic swap remapping (patch)

In message <200109300752.f8U7qsj41649@earth.backplane.com>, Matt Dillon writes:
>:  Second, application not always grows to 1G, most of the time it keeps
>:  as small as 500M ;). Why should we precommit 1G for 500M data? Doing
>:  multi-mmap memory management is additional pain.
>
>    Even using file-backed memory is fairly trivial.  You don't need to
>    do multi-mmap memory management or do any kernel tweaking.  Just
>    reserve 1G and use a single mmap() and file per process.

I once had a patch to phkmalloc() which backed all malloc'ed VM with
hidden files in the users homedir.  It was written to put the VM
usage under QUOTA control, but it had many useful side effects as well.

I can't seem to find it right now, but it is trivial to do: just
replace the sbrk(2) with mmap().  Only downside is the needed
filedescriptor which some shells don't like.