Date:      Sun, 07 Aug 2022 17:27:34 +0800
From:      "Ben Woods" <woodsb02@freebsd.org>
To:        "Franco Fichtner" <franco@opnsense.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Net" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, emaste@freebsd.org, roy@marples.name, "Hiroki Sato" <hrs@freebsd.org>, brooks@freebsd.org, cy@freebsd.org, "Philip Paeps" <philip@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Import dhcpcd(8) into FreeBSD base

On Sun, 7 Aug 2022, at 3:08 PM, Franco Fichtner wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Having worked on dhclient and rtsold in FreeBSD and worked with it for=
 years
> in pfSense/OPNsense the proposal here seems to be to throw all progres=
s away
> that would definitely have to be rebuilt in the years to follow for th=
e all-
> in-one (?) replacement.
>
> For OPNsense we did fork strip down and improve wide-dhcpv6 over the y=
ears:

> https://github.com/opnsense/dhcp6c
>
> It could use more work and cleanups, but basically all that is require=
d is to
> bring it into FreeBSD and use it to skip a long trail of said future w=
ork both
> in dhcpcd and putting back existing perks of the current dhclient and =
rtsold.

> The basic question is: what's not working in dhclident? How is rtsold =
inferior?

Hi Franco,

The thing that=E2=80=99s missing in rtsold is the same reason why opnsen=
se has needed to add dhcp6c: DHCPv6.

FreeBSD doesn=E2=80=99t have DHCPv6 support in base today, and therefore=
 should decide the best way to add it. I appreciate you=E2=80=99ve spent=
 years supporting dhcp6c and the existing tools, and we are therefore lo=
oking at this problem space differently.

For me, dhcpcd has been reliably working for a decade, with the remainin=
g sandboxing security added years ago. It=E2=80=99s not a new implementa=
tion that is yet to go through teething issues. From my point of view, a=
 single daemon that manages dynamic ip addressing makes sense, rather th=
an 3 that have to combine to manage this separately. I appreciate that t=
his would require re-work to integrate into the management layer of down=
stream products that have found alternative solutions in the mean time.

What I would ask is that you try dhcpcd for yourself (if you haven=E2=80=
=99t already), and provide feedback on your experience.

Also, would be keen to hear some of the perks of dhclient and rtsold - i=
s it existing integration into your downstream management layer? (Not me=
ant sarcastically).

Cheers,
Ben

--=20