Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:23:49 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 14.0-BETA5 Now Available

On 10/24/23 20:03, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 at 11:06, Rodney W. Grimes
>> <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a regression of forms... I have been using ventoy to boot FreeBSD
>>> since 12 or so and this is the first I have heard of a failure to boot
>>> FreeBSD with Ventoy, so my ask is, what changed in FreeBSD that broke
>>> it booting in Ventoy?
>>
>> At a minimum FreeBSD 14 has a different KBI and the 13.x kernel
>> modules provided by older Ventoy won't work on 14.0.
>
> How does the KBI even entery into the picture?
>
> What "modules" are being provied by Ventoy, I do not know
> of any FreeBSD modules being provided by Ventoy, it is an
> EFI shim that loads the FreeBSD loader, and the loader
> does all the work.
>
> Again, perhaps I do not see this as I am only using ventoy
> in EFI mode.

There's an accompanying geom module as well, source available[0] for
every version they support (except 14.x, apparently, despite having a
built blob in the geom_ventoy_ko dir).  It's a little annoying to try
and understand the problems they're running into from version to
version, IMO, since they just publish the entire module again for each
version rather than maintaining some __FreeBSD_version shims or something.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans

[0]
https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy/tree/master/Unix/ventoy_unix_src/FreeBSD/geom_ventoy_src