Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 1994 09:14:13 -0500
From:      dusio <dusio@ws062.bytex.network.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dusio@ws062.bytex.network.com
Subject:   Microsoft Bus Mouse under FreeBSD 2.0

Hi,

    I would first like to say that I am very impressed
with the FreeBSD distribution.  It is the best way to run
UN*X on a PC.  For those of us who work on UNIX every day,
this is a godsend at home.  Thank you.

    I could use some help setting up XF86 on my system.
My Microsoft Bus mouse does not move the cursor under X.
I set the protocol to "BusMouse" in the XF86Config file,
and set the device to "/dev/tty00".

While I do have a node named /dev/tty00, I'm not sure that
it represents my mouse.  I did some poking around in the
man pages and the FAQs and didn't find the answers.  So,
I did a "cat < /dev/tty00" hoping that I would see some
junk when I moved the mouse.  Instead, I got the message
"device not configured".  Not entirely conclusive, ..but
convincing enough.

So I did a "dmesg" to see if it recognised my mouse.  I
didn't see anything that resembled a mouse being probed.
I think that I may need to build the mse device into the
kernel.

Do I need to make a new kernel?
If I make a new kernel, is "mse" what I should add?
Is this a simple case of h/w conflict that doesn't show
 up under dos/windows?

Any help you can provide would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

   Joe Dusio (dusio@bytex.network.com)