Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:33:35 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Cc:        dcs@newsguy.com, rnordier@nordier.com, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KVA size changes in 3.1-stable

> I built the 4.0 loader as follows:
> mkdir /tmp/loader
> cd /tmp/loader
> cvs -d /exports/disk1/cvs/FreeBSD/ncvs checkout src/sys
> cd src/sys/boot
> make
> cd i386/loader
> (some of those paths maybe of, I am doing this from memory ;)
> cp /boot/loader /boot/loader.good
> cp loader /boot/loader
> /bin/sync (x3)
>
> I then reboot the system, and it dies as I said.
>
> Some additional information is that I put the new loader on a floppy, and
> booted that.  entering "boot disk1s1a:kernel" would give me an error that
> it could not find the file.  "boot disk1s1a:COPYRIGHT" gave me the same
> error ;).  Eventually I set currdev and rootdev to disk1s1a: and I was able to
> boot the kernel, it got as far as:
> kernel.kva text=.... [......]
>
> and then locked (this time the keyboard did not respond and I needed to hit the
> reset button.  when boot/loader came up this time (again off of floppy), I
> told it to boot disk1s1a:boot/loader.good (after setting currdev and rootdev
> again).  and from there I told it to boot the old/non-relocated kernel.  I
> have been running that kernel since, but I would greatly enjoy running the
> relocated kernel with larger KVA :)
>
> As somone perviously asked, I did read the CVS log, and made changes to the
> listed files (with the exceptions to the ones I could modify with
> 'options  "NKPT=17"' and 'options "NKPDE=254"'.)

My experience, after trying this today: It worked fine here. What I did,
on a 3.1-STABLE system (Compaq Proliant 3000), was:

- Use the dg patched conf/Makefile.i386 conf/kernel.script include/pmap.h
from 4.0-CURRENT.
- Build new kernel, attempt to boot. Stops in loader with an error message
I didn't write down, unfortunately. (But this was expected - dg's commit
message explicitly mentioned the need for new boot blocks.)
- Install boot1 boot2 loader from a 4.0-CURRENT system - these had been
generated during a "make buildworld" on March first.

And presto, it booted. Been running fine for 6 hours so far. The reason
I wanted the larger KVA is that this machine has 576 MB memory, and I'm
wondering if some unexplained hangs and reboots we've had could be due
to the KVA size.