Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 1995 14:06:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: rmail(1) and sendmail -bi

> What's the reason that we're still stuck with queuing the mails only
> from rmail(1)?
>
> I've modified my rmail command long ago to use `interactive' delivery
> (-odi), and in one case where rmail bothered me too much by insisting
> on the $%&@ useless From_ line, i even replaced it by a script calling
> sendmail -odi without any additional preprocessing.
>
> All this went very fine, so what's the point that our rmail uses the
> conservative approach (-odq) only?

Hi,

There was a mini-flamewar a while back about this.  (I would agree that the
current rmail is largely bogus, by the way...)  It is possible to cause much
grief with modes other than -odq with rmail, particularly if one is
unfortunate enough to get several uuxqt sessions going and you suddenly have
a dozen sendmails concurrently trying to hog system resources.  Even -odq
suffers from this a little bit.

HOWEVER, if you have a reasonably fast machine, and have your UUCP set up
in a Sendmail-cooperative manner (max-uuxqts 1 or 2), you're probably gonna
be okay even if you increase the stress levels by using -odi or whatever.
You can still blow the living honkers out of a slow machine, or a machine
without much in terms of VM resources, but it appears that this is harder to
do on the average than it was five years ago.  I played for a while on a
386DX/40 with 16MB RAM and generous amounts of swap and had a tough time
getting it to kill the system.

I think the conclusion I drew from all of it was that it is probably wise to
assume the least common denominator - -odq - but it would be REAL nice for
many people to be able to specify something else.  Perhaps
/etc/rmail.config?  :-)

*I'D* like an rmail which can deal with an RFC822 formatted message, without
all the From line crud.  I've been hacking around this myself.

... Joe