Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 1995 06:36:47 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@seagull.rtd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: xview port

>    XView appears to, by default, assume no support for locales.
>Should this be changed in the port?

X11R5 is the first version of X that had any kind of support for
i18n/l10n. As I recall, all official support of xview by Sun ended
before Sun had an R5-based product available. I'm not familiar with
xview so I don't know how hard it would be to do correctly. You'll
need to support using input methods and wide characters in text, etc.,
etc. If you go down this path you may be biting off a bigger chunk
than you realize. :-)

>Or, is setlocale() (et al.)
>broken?  I'm using 1.1.5

Locale support is pretty weak in 1.1.5.1. I don't have any reason to
believe it's any better in 2.x. I started to dabble with it some, and
put together an ISO8859-1 locale file, which I think got renamed to
lt_LN.ISO8859-1. You can get it from the FreeBSD-current sources in
src/usr.bin/mklocale/data. Or maybe someone else did that one, I don't
know. In any event libc makes some use of the locale data, but has a
long way to go. If I can nurse my system back to health, get more disk,
and upgrade to 2.x, then I'll work on it some more.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY