Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 21:06:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        davide.tome'@galactica.it (DAVIDE TOME')
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Slip over telnet

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know if its possible to run slip over telnet connection
> to give our user , who has telnet account on our UNIX, the SLIP
> connection.
>
> for example if it's possile to do a slattach on device /dev/ttyp01
>
> Thanks

It was not (apparently?) possible as of 2.0R, when I tried it I was not able
to get it to work (but I didn't put a LOT of effort into it).

This is something that I believe would be reasonably useful.  You may (or
may not) run into problems with telnet and escaping characters.  I believe
that a recent Berkeley telnet/telnetd combo can be made to give an
8-bit-clean connection.  I've personally been using rlogin, but only for
UUCP - not SLIP.

... Joe