Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 95 08:56:11 EDT
From:      jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com (James Leppek)
To:        gary@wcs.uq.oz.au
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

Gary,

> > I think this should only happen once a newbie has truly _in their own mind_
> > made the transition to `helper' status and actually really wants to help.
> > Most folks will find the pay-back nature of the arrangement only natural
> > and fair, but those that don't shouldn't be forced into it - they'll only
> > provide bad support for some other poor new newbie!
>
> OK, I hear what you are saying and I do agree.  I'm a strong believer in
> the principle that `assisting others is the best way to learn something
> yourself'.  I want the `helpees' to really feel an obligation to
> contribute and when they do they'll derive additional benefit for
> themselves anyway.  There is always going to be a shortage of helpers
> and I do want to capitalise on that `good feeling' that should result
> from being given `personalised' help.  If you think about it, it's just
> like a chain letter and we don't want breaks in the chain :->.
>
> So do we just remind helpees that when they feel _comfortable_ about it
> they will be followed up and asked to take on another new user?

This is a great idea but you cannot force a feeling of obligation.
I assist many "newbies" in my area, but the experience that is
needed to go from newbie -> neophyte -> user -> sys-admin -> guru
is a long path. You do not want folks to be pushed into that
situation, it is bad for the newbie and for the poor neophyte or user.

I guess I am saying this is a great idea but lets keep it strictly
voluntary, no strings attached.

Oh and sign me up :-)

Jim