Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 07:14:13 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        terry@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Login hole

    Terry> Login with no home directory should be denied for normal
    Terry> user.  Should not drop one into /.

I realize precedent isn't necessarily a good reason for inaction, but
on every SysV and BSD system I've used, no login directory leaves you
in /.  Some of my users find this behavior convenient ... if the NFS
server for their home directories is down, they can still read mail.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

It's sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as a
pack of wild dogs.  -- Jack Handey