Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 1995 15:46:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      bah6f@server.cs.virginia.edu
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard locking up

Pete Carah writes:
-> In article <199510040838.EAA09332@acmex.gatech.edu> you write:
-> >> I have noticed a problem with 2.1.0-950928 freebsd snap locking up and
-> >> someone told  me that this was reported a few times.  After investigating
-> ...
-> >> My solution was to disable the green screen saver...  am wondering if
-> >> there are any revelancy between the two?
-> ...
-> >we just had this problem on my friend's machine, which we just
-> >installed 2.1.0-950928 on today. But he was typing at the time so
-> >there's no way the screen saver was coming on, and he is using
-> >snake instead of green. At the time it locked, he had just
-> >changed vttys(he had 7 going at the time).
->
-> I've seen lockups before on switching away from X; I think the problem
-> there is that you hit another key before the screen mode+data restore
-> is done; with X that takes a while so it is more likely to happen.
-> I had to reboot an ISP's main server yesterday because of this one :-(

I've seen the X lockup described above, and I can't fix that one.  On
my computer, however, I've had the keyboard lock up in other
circumstances (like just typing normally in X) and the solution was
trivial (though annoying).  I simply unplug the keyboard and plug it
back in.  I don't know why this happens, nor do I know how to avoid
it.  I just know that in this case, you can simply reset the keyboard
and go along happily.  It seems to happen to me most often when I'm
pressing lots of control keys and stuff (i.e. in emacs).  It rarely
happens when just typing straight text.

I don't know if this will solve all the problems above, but it might
help one or two. ;)

Paco
--
Brian "Paco" Hope              Research Assistant, Technical Support Staff
email: paco@virginia.edu                    Department of Computer Science