Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 1995 09:29:20 +0930 (CST)
From:      newton@communica.com.au (Mark Newton)
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fiskars UPS support...

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

 > > I know this isn't your priority, but it would be nice if this could be
 > > devoloped in some sort of modular fashion, separating the control logic
 > > from the UPS-specific interface code.
 >
 > I agree, the right thing is probably to define a interface somehow, but
 > couldn't this be as simple as executing a command with explanatory
 > args:

I mentioned this to miff in private email, but I may as well float
it here with the rest of the group:  How about another keyword to be
inserted in the ty_status field in /etc/ttys, such as:

tty08	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	vt100	on	secure
tty09	"/usr/sbin/upsmon"		none	ups

The "ups" keyword would mean, "respawn this process upon entry to multiuser
mode;  continue to respawn it until the CPU halts, regardless of changes
between multiuser and singleuser state."

... then all the UPS-specific interface code would be handled by the
UPS-specific "/usr/sbin/upsmon" process.

The advantage of this approach is that upsmon would then continue to
run in single-user mode, meaning that if you ever shut the system down
on the expectation that the batteries are about to run out, and the
power comes back on as soon as you've hit single-user mode, upsmon will
still be able to see that event and wake the system up again (which
eliminates the possibility of getting stuck in single-user mode if
you do a shutdown 3 seconds before the mains power comes back online).

Even really stupid UPSs would work well with this feature :-)

    - mark

---
Mark Newton                               Email: newton@communica.com.au
Systems Engineer                          Phone: +61-8-373-2523
Communica Systems                         WWW:   http://www.communica.com.au