Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 1995 14:45:50 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        captain@pubnix.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HELP: Lost routes!?

<<On Sat, 28 Oct 1995 18:58:05 -0400 (EDT), Andrew Webster <andrew@fortress.org> said:

> I've got an urgent question for the Network Guru's of FreeBSD.
> I run an ISP using FreeBSD on our systems, and have noticed the occasional
> peculiar problem involving user's SLIP and PPP connections on our terminal
> server, a 486/66 running FreeBSD 2.1.0-950726-SNAP.

> I did a 'netstat -rn' only to see that his SLIP interface was not listed
> in the table.

Do a `netstat -ran' to see everything in the table.  The `-a'
requirement was added because some people felt that this was too much
transitory information to print at one time; in retrospect, this may
turn out to have been the wrong choice (particularly when the `-n'
flag is being used).

>  I tried pinging his endpoint address '199.84.157.21',
> and got no response.  He indicated that his modem's lights were not
> flashing.

This has all the classic symptoms of route clash.  I believe this
problem to have been fixed in the -current; you can work around it in
the meantime by doing a forcible `route delete -host xx.yy.zz.aa', but
if your machine is busily trying to send IP to the other end when you
do this, then the route will get recreated almost immediately.

If you look at -current in net/route.c:rtrequest(), there is some code
(and a big comment) below the `makeroute' label which attempts to
handle this case.  It should patch cleanly into your system.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.