Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 95 12:44:35 -0500
From:      Eric Primeau <lmcerpr@LMC.ericsson.se>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, lmcerpr@LMC.ericsson.se
Subject:   ioctl DIOCWLABEL ?!? (Re: Missing operating system)

> Eric Primeau stands accused of saying:
>> PLEASE HELP ME!!
>> I am facing the famous "Missing operating system" problem.

Hi everyone,

I'm back with more questions. Thanks to Michael Smith, Didier Derny
and D.Marck for their suggestions.

A week later and still no FreeBSD booting from disk. Bummer.

Here's my current situation: I got rid of the "Missing OS" message
somehow and installed Booteasy manually. It now allows me to select
between both disks; however when I try booting of "freebsd", it
returns to the F? prompt. (Better than before, but no cigar.)

I disconnected my C: disk (the current DOS bootdisk) and kept just one 1Gb
disk.
I then attempted to do the FreeBSD installation on it (thinking maybe the
problem stems from the existence of that first DOS disk, maybe FreeBSD
installs better on a dedicated disk).
The problem remains the same; FreeBSD just wont boot from my 1Gb disk.

(I mean I tried everything thinkable around disk geometry.)

OK. I discovered the alt-F4 holographic shell you can access during and
after the FreeBSD installation.  So I decided to use it to snoop around.
I tried the "fdisk" command and it gave me a strange error message (more
on this later);  then I looked at "disklabel" which is supposed to
be used by the installation process.

[NOTE: My disk has two partitions: one for FreeBSD and the other for DOS.
       I use the DOS partition to store the freebsd directory files
       for the installation.]

Observe:
disklabel /dev/wd0      works OK as expected.  I see all the partitions.

disklabel -r /dev/wd0   gives me an error message:
                "Bad pack magic number (label is damaged or pack is unlabeled)"

disklabel -W /dev/wd0   gives me the SAME error message as fdisk, e.g.:
                "ioctl DIOCWLABEL: Operation not supported by device"

Are the two errors related?
Could this be why I cant boot off the disk?
Is there anyone out there kind enough to let me know if I didnt format
the disk correctly, or if there is some kind of problem I should be aware of?

PLEASE HELP!!!!
In the meanwhile, I give up;  I'm going back to Doom and (sigh!)
Windows 3.1  ;-P

Best regards,

/Eric      "desperately-seeking-a-booting-freebsd"

Eric PRIMEAU                     lmcerpr@lmc.ericsson.se
Software Engineer                (514) 738-8300  x2371
Ericsson Research Inc.           Montreal (Qc) Canada