Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 1995 11:57:22 +0100
From:      Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-boot crashes ICL-machines, anyone else had this?

At 01:35 1995-11-23 +0000, you wrote:
>Peter Olsson stands accused of saying:
>> >Do the crashing machines have S3-based video hardware?
>>
>> The P100 has mac64, I don't know about the P75. Doesn't seem like this is
>> the problem (?)
>
>The problem is that a number of video cards (many S3-based, for starters)
>occupy the same port addresses as the fourth serial port.  In order to
>successfully probe the second serial port in a four port system, it is
>necessary to write to the fourth port, which can upset some video adapters,
>possibly causing the system to crash.

I tried disabling several combinations of serial ports, but it didn't help.
Immediately after I go out of config-mode, the screen goes all black and the
computer hangs completely.

The only combination that works is to disable all four serial ports.

Thanks anyway for your good suggestions!
Peter Olsson                   Email: pol@leissner.se
Leissner Data AB               Telnr: 0520 - 490 511  direkt
Box 912                        Telnr: 0520 - 200 00   v{xel
461 29  TROLLH[TTAN            Faxnr: 0520 - 200 89