Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 10:34:49 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPX status and routing

<<On Wed, 29 Nov 1995 18:33:21 -0800, gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com said:

> 2) I doubt it. Dedicated routers can do slightly faster packet
>    switching as they start routing when they've recieved the header,
>    whereas BSD has to wait for the entire packet.

A good PCI machine (like a 100-MHz Dell I have in the lab) with good
PCI interfaces (like the DE500s we have in that machine) can forward
about 15,000 minimally-sized packets per second (all to the same
destination, but my tests indicate that this shouldn't matter).  That
comes to about 7.7 Mbit/s.  Not as fast as we would like, but well
within the envelope for most uses.  (This load is from an input stream
of 18,000 packets per second over Fast Ethernet.)  For larger packets,
the rate goes down somewhat.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.