Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 1995 10:41:02 PST
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   what's the upgrade procedure?

In Linux, the way I upgrade is install into a new partition a base system

I run my sytem normally, mount the new partition in /tmp, and then
install slackware into /tmp.

How do I upgrade freebsd?  I want to be able to run the old and the
new system concurrently for a while...

(I was running 2.1.0 snapshot 1105, I want to upgrade to the 2.1.0
release...)

I also had problems with booteasy from the second hard disk (but the
bios size is different from the real size -- the second disk is a 1.2gig, and
the bios says about 400 Mbytes...[I have a compaq which has a sick, strange
bios]).  I also haven't tried any of the On-disk managers...

In the first 300 Megabytes, I'm running win95 and NT with no problems, then
I have a BSD disk slice of about 400 Mbyte, and linux in upper disk area
(so dos fdisk is a bit screwed up...)

I have a small partition on the first hard disk (about 80 Mbytes) which
boot easy works with...my base system is on here, then my fstab has:
: leisner@compaq;cat /etc/fstab
/dev/wd0a                       /               ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/wd0s4e                     /usr            ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/wd1a                       /fs1            ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/wd1e                       /fs2            ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/wd1b                       none            swap    sw 0 0

and df says:
: leisner@compaq;df -t ufs
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/wd0a              19966   13380     4988     73%   /
/dev/wd0s4e            54082   36344    13410     73%   /usr
/dev/wd1a              50190   13188    32986     29%   /fs1
/dev/wd1e             229486  202698     8428     96%   /fs2

(I really don't understand the device syntax -- why is /usr on /dev/wd0s4e
and the other disk has wd1a/wd1e in my slice? -- I got this working well
from trial and error.

Hints??

I can boot the second disk from the bootfloppy, but I had to enter
wd(1,a)/kernel [can I build the boot loader to automatically do this?
I'm content to run a floppy to boot from if I don't have to manually
interact with it...

Also, fbsdboot can deal with the second disk either...

marty		leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Member of the League for Programming Freedom (http://www.lpf.org)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
        Arthur C. Clarke, The Lost Worlds of 2001