Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2023 15:16:53 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: etcupdate created empty files = system unbootable

--Apple-Mail=_D2A92C5B-036F-44D3-B0FE-FCA7FCEB875B

On 28 Apr 2023, at 09:40, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz> wrote:
>=20
> On 28/04/2023 08:30, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2023, at 11:21, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>=20
>>> After this I updated bootcode with gpart and rebooted the machine =
but it
>>> does not come up, cannot login via ssh. Accessing this remote =
machine
>>> with remote mamagement / IPMI was a nightmare. It took me almost 5 =
hours
>>> because of java etc. but it's a different story.
>>>=20
>>> The machine in question is all ZFS based.
>> Ouch. I don=E2=80=99t wish java remote console on anybody. I have =
heard a very small number of vaguely similar complaints but nothing =
concrete.
>> Do you still have the zfs snapshot this was upgraded from? It would =
be good to know if this issue is reproducible, and even better to work =
out what=E2=80=99s happening.
>> Please log a PR for this issue
>=20
> yes, I have Boot Environment created before system upgrade (I always =
create BE before system or pkg upgrades) and there are automatic =
snapshot from cron.
>=20
> Should I try to clone it and reproduce it again?
>=20
> I will file a PR today.

I have seen some bad behavior in the past from etcupdate, when you =
interrupted it (with control-C) at the 'wrong' time. In that case, it =
would have built up a bad tree in /var/db/etcupdate, and as a result =
*delete* almost all files in /etc! However, this problem has been =
solved, as far as I know, and the effect was definitely not zero-sized =
files, but really deleted ones.

If you have a good way of reproducing it, I think the etcupdate =
maintainers will be interested enough, moreover since mergemaster is =
going to go away.

-Dimitry