Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 10:25:54 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI plug-n-play on Intel Premiere Baby II?

In message <199504190737.AAA01354@gndrsh.aac.dev.com> you write:
>This board is also, I believe, called the Intel Plato card, check you
>user manual to see if it says Plato in it.

It says "Plato?" in my handwriting on the cover =)  The inside doesn't say
much about anything... but that reminded me that the Plato bios upgrades that
sometimes show up on wuarchive work, so...

>What version of the BIOS does the motherboard have on it?

I was using 1.00.10, I just upgraded to 1.00.12 and it doesn't look any
different, either in the setup or in how it assigns interrupts.

>They also left you with very little flexiability in what you could do
>to stop cards from sharing an interrupt.

I guess I just don't know enough about PCI, but I found it pretty odd that
the NCR SCSI card still got int A even though it was jumpered to B.

>Basically this was one of the first PCI P54C-90 motherboards on the market
>and I talked it down then, and still tell people to avoid it if they can.

Okay, so, at least I have a CPU, can you reccomend a nice replacement
motherboard?  (Preferably with built-in 2x16550 and parallel and floppy/ide
since I only have one free slot right now...)

>If you have set the jumper on the NCR card to interrupt B, this motherboard
>will never see the interrupt from that card as far as I can tell.

Sigh.  I can't figure out how to tell if the NCR has fallen back to polling.
Neither dmesg nor ncrcontrol seems to say.  (although ncrcontrol -dp says
57 interrupts, implying that it might be getting interrupts -- or those might
be de interrupts mis-dispatched, I guess)

  Bill