Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 1996 15:33:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu (David E. O'Brien)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recompiling Kernel with Live File System

> Annelise Anderson stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I would like to recompile the kernel (generic) on my office machine
> > (2.0.5), but I did not install the kernel souces and I don't think
> > there's enough space (maybe 25 mb) to do so.  There's a usr/src
> > directory, but nothing in it.
> > to compile it?  Then perhaps make and make install in

> > /cdrom/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/make, maybe adding the path
> > to NEWKERNEL on the hard drive?
> >
> > Doesn't sound like this will work, but maybe there's a way.
>
> Unless your CDrom does writes, no 8)
>
> You can frob around this, but it's tough.  If at all possible, put the
> kernel sources on disk and do it that way.  If not, it's not _too_ hard
> to make a /usr/src that's mostly symlinks to the CDrom.

This is not at all hard.  Use the lndir program that comes with XFree86.
That's /cdrom/cd1/usr/X11R6/bin/lndir if you didn't install X11.

> If we assume that the live filesystem CD is mounted, and you're using csh :
>
> # mkdir /usr/src/sys
> # cd /usr/src/sys
> # foreach i (/cdrom/usr/src/sys/*)
> foreach? ln -s $i
> foreach? end

Won't work.  You are creating links to the DIRECTORIES.  And that will
give you some trouble.  You may still try to write to the CDROM.  Rather
you want to create real directories on your hard disk and make links to
the FILES.  lndir will do all this for you.

-- David   (obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu)