Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 96 20:10:32 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some solutions to disk problems.... I think.

Aha! Have found some instructions for writing code that can be incorporated
into the kernel to solve the timeout problem.

ftp://ftp.seagate.com/techsuppt/misc/no_idle.zip

explains how to disable the timeouts and gives sample code for DOS. (It'd
have to be different for FreeBSD's disk driver.) I will take a stab at
adding some code to my kernel this evening; however, since most low-level
OS code has a "culture" behind it (that is, an unwritten list of ways to do
things and things one shouldn't do at all costs), I'm worried that I'll
violate some unwritten rule and mess everything up. Would someone more
experienced with hacking the FreeBSD kernel be willing to help by looking
over my code and/or incorporating the relevant instructions (it's only
three I/O operations per drive, with pauses between)?

The code should probably be activated by flags (one per drive for each IDE
interface).  What is the proper procedure for implementing and assigning a
device driver flag, and making sure that there are no conflicts? Are any
flag bits reserved in FreeBSD disk drivers?

--Brett

P.S. -- Have also found a fix for the read-ahead problem, but it is
specific to my machine. Zeos had -- in poorly labeled and virtually
undocumented form -- a BIOS upgrade for this system on their Web site.
This BIOS -- but not the one that most users got -- has a switch to turn
off read-aheads on the buggy RZ1000 chip. This should be considered a
special case, though; other brands of computers may not have such BIOSes
available. Linux detects the buggy chip and disables read-aheads; FreeBSD
should do the same rather than expecting this capability to exist in the
BIOS.