Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 10:54:42 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        reyes01@ibm.net
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting ready to help

    Francisco> Some of the things I will need to know are: - Is it ok
    Francisco> if I send html? If sgml is prefered where can I get
    Francisco> hold of the sgml of the existing pages to change them
    Francisco> and where can I get references to coding in sgml.

SGML would definitely be preferred.  You can get the SGML source of
the existing pages in /usr/src/share/doc/handbook or on the web at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/share/doc/handbook/

    Francisco> - Some of the pages I have seen in the handbook have
    Francisco> asterisks.  An example is the list of compatible
    Francisco> cards. Any reason those sections have not been started?

Not enough time or people to write 'em up.

    Francisco> If the main problem is time perhaps we could start
    Francisco> getting people to send me their configurations now and
    Francisco> when I have more time I will make the html pages. One
    Francisco> possible way is to ask people to help us by sending the
    Francisco> data in a formated way so that I can write a small
    Francisco> program to parse it and create the html/sgml
    Francisco> automatically.

Sounds great!

    Francisco> -When I give suggestions is it good to give the reason
    Francisco> why I am suggesting them? Some of the messages I have
    Francisco> written recently seemed a bit large and I figure many
    Francisco> may have already to much to read so, me making the
    Francisco> messages long may be inconvienient for others.

It depends on the kind of suggestion.  Correcting grammar probably
needs no comment, but the author of a document may be more willing to
accept a restructuring of a series of paragraphs if you give reasons
why.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov