Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:20:44 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nagy_L=E1szl=F3_Zsolt?= <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
Cc:        Joe Holden <joe@joeholden.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Invisible process killing the CPU

On Feb 16, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Nagy L=E1szl=F3 Zsolt wrote:
>> Possible hardware problem perhaps? Are you able to run a "burn-in" =20=

>> test on the machine?
> What is that? How can I perform that? (Tomorrow the machine will be =20=

> free, I can play with it.)
> I can imagine that the processor is overheated and so the frequency =20=

> was reduced by the BIOS. But that does not explain why I cannot see =20=

> the process using the CPU. An invisible process eating up CPU time =20
> cannot be a hardware problem, can it?

One possibility is that your CPU fan has failed, in which case newer =20
machines would downclock itself extremely in order to avoid burning =20
out-- that might be an explanation for why your performance has =20
decreased so much.  Otherwise, try using "ps auxw" to show all of the =20=

processes which are running and see whether there are surprising =20
things, or perhaps try "top -o time" to sort by accumulated CPU time =20
and look at what's consuming the most...

--=20
-Chuck