Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 17:57:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      JKtheOWL@aol.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thanks for the tip help!

Thanks to those who responded to my questions regarding not getting tip to
work.

I knew it was something obvious and stupid and it was. Even though I looked
at the
"stty -f " output a dozen times, the significance of it telling me that the
port was
trying to run at 57600 went right past me. I see the message that it is
connecting
at 57600 all of the time.

The /etc/gettytab and /etc/ttys had nothing to do with it at all, despite the
error
messages indicating that this was the most likely possibility.  In the
/etc/rc.serial
file there is an entry for "modem( )" and the example also includes a line
near the
end of the file where the modem  port is flagged (I guess that is the way to
put it).
It is commented out.

First I removed the comment "#". I tried it and no luck. Then using one
respondants
suggestion i went to DOS and set the power up state of the modem so that all
echoing is off. Again NO LUCK.  Then I notice the 57600 and go into the rc
file and
change it to 19200, "connected" tip politely reports.

57600 is set in the example file supplied with the software and the modem and

computer were just not syncronized.

So, for what it is worth, the rule is "The more difficult and puzzling the
problem:
The more sleep I need before solving it."  Thanks again for the input.

John