Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 97 14:28:55 +0100
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.COM
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVS repository pushed off the FreeBSD CD distribution...

>> >Despite what all the hackers may think, I feel that the ports/packages
>> >still represent better value than the CVS repository so there's no
>> >question in my mind about which bits get precedence, the question
>> >being more one of "what do we do now for the CVS repository fans?"
>>
>> More SNAP cd's ?

>If I don't have to put ports or packages on the SNAP CDs, sure! :-)
>Remember, the SNAPs are only a single CD (and priced $10 less than the
>others).

>Would people prefer the SNAPs to become full CDs?  They'd probably
>have to go up to the $39.95/$25.94 (sub) price if I had to do 2 of
>them each time, but I could make one the SNAP/package CD and the other
>the unpacked CVS tree, unpacked src and unpacked ports (I'd have room
>for all).

>Would there be interest in something like that?

I always felt that a base CTM delta would be very valuable for a CD,
too. After all, CTM is for use poor people who can't ftp a 70 MB
file.

Anyway, my thoughts:

1) The release CD should prefer application software over the CVS
   tree.

2) I use the snap CD for ports, updated distfiles and such, too, so
   dropping these in favour of CVS and maybe CTM base wouldn't make me
   happy.

3) Personally, I would pay for a double CD to get all of these.

4) I suppose most other -snap subscribers would be, too, but keep in
   mind that raising the price could also raise the demand for less
   delay in getting SNAP CDs.

Martin
--
Martin_Cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de http://cracauer.cons.org  Fax.: +4940 5228536