Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 13:59:41 -0500
From:      "James M. Criner" <ebzd@gdeb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BootEasy Bootmanager

Dear FreeBSD support:

After many tiring evenings and several nailbiting sessions, I have
successsfully installed FreeBSD while managing to preserve my existing
DOS/WIN95 system.  My goal was to have one drive be completely DOS, and the
second drive have a small DOS partition followed by FreeBSD.  That way I could
keep the existing system isolated and pass data via the small DOS partition on
the new disk.  I have both systems up and running independently (by
plugging/unplugging SCSI cables), but I can't seem to get the boot manager to
allow me to boot from either disk.  The BIOS hangs and I get the message "Drive
not ready: Please insert disk into A:".  Here's the setup -

Monitor - MAG Innovision DX17
Video Board - ATI Mach64
SCSI Board - NCR PCI-SC200
3.5" Floppy - Safronic DS-34A
Chip - P54C/CT 90 Mhz
RAM - 16 MB
CD-ROM - Mitsumi CRMC-FX001D

Internal SCSI devices:

Conner 4mm DAT drive - ID 04, termination enabled
Original HD (DOS Primary) Quantum ProDrive LPS 540 MB - ID 01
  No partitions, no boot manager.
New HD (Small DOS part, FreeBSD) Seagate ST32550N 2047MB - ID 00
  Partitions:
  64MB DOS Primary
  1983MB FreeBSD
    /        64MB
    /usr   1663MB
    swap    256MB
  Boot manager installed - allows boot from    F1  Dos
                                               F2  BSD

Is there any way to allow booting from disk 00 BSD, or disk 01 WIN95, and allow
both to read/write to the small DOS partition on disk 00.  I want to keep disk
01 WIN95 isolated as I can't afford to "hose" it (although I wouldn't mind
throwing it out the window).  I feel alot more comfortable setting up and
administering FreeBSD than trying to re-install WIN95.  WIN95 works OK now, and
as they say... If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

I've got two working systems on separate disks who really would like to be
plugged in at the same time and talk to each other.  Any ideas on how to get
them to play nicely???

HELP!!!

Please reply to either of the following e-mail addresses

jcriner@edgenet.net

fgmd@edgenet.net

THANKS ALOT!!!

--