Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 17:03:42 -0400
From:      "Paul Missman" <missmanp@milo.cfw.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Da mouse

 I have a mouse on /dev/mse0, and the port is recognized when the system
scans for I/O controllers at boot time.  However, a bit further on, I get
the message:

rc.i386 configuring syscons:  moused moused:
Warning: unable to get status of mouse
fd: Operation not supported by device

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.2 from the Walnet Creek CD ROM.  The mouse is a
microsoft serial mouse type.  It works corretly under Win95 on the same
machine.  I have set the type to microsoft and the device to /dev/mse0 in
rc.conf.

Also, I have installed X-windows from the same CD ROM.  It configured
properly under the X configuration menu from sysinstall.  I had to use the
keyboard to do the configuration since, obviously, the mouse wasn't
functional.  Once I get the mouse functional, how do I start X-windows?
None of the X-windows from shell startup files mentioned in the X-windows
man pages seems to be present.

Thanks for your time,

Paul Missman