Date:      Wed, 04 Feb 98 12:51:37 -0800
From:      roark_hilomen_at_meridian@meridian-data.com
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Soft Updates

I was searching for "Soft Updates" implementation and found references to it in
the Filesystem newsgroup.  Unfortunately it only mentioned that OpenBSD was
implementing it.  It slightly hinted that FreeBSD may have it soon, but no
timeframe or release number (2.2.5? 3.0? 3.0+?)

I am definitely interested in the "Soft Update" enhancemnet to the filesystem.
I would like to know its availability or current state of development.

Also, since soft updates tend to delay "writes", on a critical failure (system
crash, panic, power outage), what provisions of data integrity have been
implemented?  Is an intent log written out?  Has fsck changed?

If it is not in FreeBSD, can some one direct me to more information?

Thank you